Thursday, December 3, 2009

Ven Tings Look Dark Undt Blue



I'm not ready for Christmas. I'm not ready to post any of my old Christmas postcards yet, or share Christmas stories, or post Christmas photos from Aunt Polly's box.

But this postcard was among some other old postcards and I decided to share it. It was mailed in April, 1913. My dad would have been about a month and a half old, though the postcard itself has nothing to do with my dad, my ancestors, or other family.

I like the two rosy-cheeked, jolly-looking children, and I love the "accent" that's part of the language of the words. I know the children are Dutch but I can almost imagine a German accent in the words, too. Might my Grampa Henry C. Meinzen have spoken with an accent similar to this one?

This card makes me think of brick walls and how frustrating they are when I search and search and search, having looked in every possible nook and cranny to find evidence of an ancestor, and come up with nothing. I guess it's important to keep a sense of humor about ourselves when we're searching. After all, it's not the end of the world to have a high brick wall separating me from my ancestors' information. And maybe a little laughter can give a new perspective which. in turn. may possibly present to the mind new places to search.

Just a few random thoughts. Do you like the postcard? Did it make you chuckle? Does it relate to your family in any way?

1 comment:

I appreciate your comments and look forward to reading what you have to say. Thanks for stopping by.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...