Monday, February 7, 2011

An Anniversary of a Death

This is the anniversary of the death of my maternal grandmother, Emma (Bickerstaff) Meinzen. She lived just two houses away from us and was the comfort of my childhood. She was the only grandmother I knew. I share her obituary today because she died the day before her husband's 81st birthday.

The obituary below was published in a local newspaper but my mother did not note which one. It could have been The Niles Daily Times, The Youngstown Vindicator, or The Warren Tribune Chronicle.
____________________________________________________________________
Mrs. Robert Meinzen

MINERAL RIDGE -- Mrs. Emma Meinzen, 79, of 30 Furnace St., died of a heart attack at 11 p.m., Wednesday in Trumbull Memorial Hospital after she became ill at home.

Mrs. Meinzen was born July 6, 1893, in Mingo Junction, a daughter of Edward J. and Mary Thompson Bickerstaff. She was a member of Mineral Ridge United Methodist Church and VFW auxiliary of Mineral Ridge.

Besides her husband, Robert, to whom she was married Sept. 8, 1913, she leaves four daughters, Mrs. Audrey Doyle of Mineral Ridge, Mrs. Jerry Foulk of Warren, Mrs. ... and Pauline Meinzen, both of Parma; two sisters, Mrs. Mayme Morris and Miss Cora Bickerstaff, and a brother, Dan, all of Mineral Ridge; eight grandchildren, and 10 great-grandchildren.

Funeral services will be held at 1:30 p.m. Saturday at the Lane Funeral Home Mineral Ridge Chapel, where friends may call from 7 to 9 p.m. today. [In my mother's hand: 2/7/1973]
___________________________________________________________________
Notes and Comments
As far as I know, my grandmother was not a member of the VFW auxiliary. She was, however, a member of the Daughters of Rebekah, the IOOF women's auxiliary.

The marriage date is inaccurate. My grandparents were married in 1914.

2 comments:

  1. Even with the mistakes, a nice obituary. I'm glad you can correct. I was just thinking today that my mother didn't have an obituary or a funeral program. I need to tell her story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Was her picture included in the obituary? Great picture, but a very sad day for her husband.

    They were married a day before my birthday.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments and look forward to reading what you have to say. Thanks for stopping by.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...