Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Great-Grandmother Elizabeth's Birthday Is Today

Elizabeth is dear to my heart for all the challenges she faced in her life. Though I never knew her personally, she continues to be a great example to me. Other posts about her include Elizabeth and My Elizabeth.Few photographs of her survived and those I have are copies (some xerox-style) of originals. Poor photographs but at least I can see her image.

This photo makes me laugh because of the cup of liquid she's holding. Water? Was there a story or joke to go with this? Why was she standing in a field, dressed in Sunday best, holding a cup of water -- and posing for a photographer?

Elizabeth was born on August 24, 1852, in Bradford, Yorkshire, England. Her parents were Abel and Eliza (Hartley) Armitage.

Happy, happy Birthday, Gramma.

2 comments:

  1. It may not be water, but one of those cordials which are the fruits of the field, like elderflower ‘champagne’ or sloe gin. Worth posing for!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Little Nell, I hadn't thought of it being some special kind of refreshment. It's entirely possible that she made her own elderberry or other fruit wine.... Thanks for sharing that thought. I really appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments and look forward to reading what you have to say. Thanks for stopping by.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...