Tuesday, May 15, 2012

RootsMagic Easy? Easy Obituary

I don't know why I feel so challenged by RootsMagic. Perhaps it's because Personal Ancestral File (PAF) was so simple; or because I was familiar with it; or because I was using it in the simplest way possible. RootsMagic seems big, encompassing, powerful, and overwhelming. The fact is I want to get it right the first time, without mistakes, so I don't have to redo the work.

But maybe it's just me, imagining that it's harder than it is. I entered a death fact for an individual in RootsMagic yesterday, then added a source, an obituary, and transcribed it. All went well. I went to the person, clicked on "Add a Fact," chose "Death," added the date and location, then went to "Source" and chose "Obituary/Newspaper Item," entered the source information and transcribed it. Easy, really. Of course, I don't yet know how to link that source to other facts about the person or to other people. But any step in the right direction is a step forward.

Now, on to the Civil War Pension File.
.

2 comments:

  1. You can link a source to multiple facts. Highlight a fact, then click the "Sources" button on the right side of the screen. Then click the "cite existing source" button and scroll until you see the source you want to add.

    To share facts between family members, highlight the fact you want to share. Then click the "share" button at the right. You will then be prompted to select whomever you want to share the fact.

    Hope this makes sense. I love RootsMagic but I'm horrible at tech support.

    Check out the RootsMagic webinars at their site for better more qualified help. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the help, Amy. You're fine at tech support. I'm just not savvy when it comes to technology! I'll give your instructions a try.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments and look forward to reading what you have to say. Thanks for stopping by.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...