Saturday, January 5, 2013

Searching for Christian Gerner


My great-great-grandfather Fred Gerner's death certificate stated his father's name as Christian Gerner.  Fred was born in 1848 or 1849 in Germany.   From family sources and other documents I understand that Fred had a younger brother named Charles who was also born in Germany in about 1851 or 1852.

While searching the 1870 U.S. census this evening I found Christopher Gerner, aged 61, with son Charles, aged 19, living in Pittsburgh.  Could this possibly be my Christian Gerner with an anglicized name?

Having Charles with this family group seems to fit what I already know.  Fred, 21 or 22 in 1870, would have probably already moved from home, though I've yet to find him in the 1870 census.

In this census (image above) Charles's occupation is identified as "apprentice at m-------."  Can any of you read the last word?  Thanks for any thoughts or interpretations.

The source for this image is Heritage Quest, 1870 U.S. Census, Pittsburgh, Allegheny County, Pennsylvania, Series M593, Roll 1297, page 564, written page 72, lines 8-10.
.

4 comments:

  1. Nancy, I did not see this link listed on your blog.
    http://digital.library.pitt.edu/pittsburgh/

    Go to texts and they have city directories for both Pittsburgh and Allegheny City. Perhaps you could find more on this family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for telling me about this resource, Claudia. It is new to me and I think it will be helpful. Big thanks!

      Delete
  2. The only thing I'm sure about (I think, kinda, sorta) is M____ling.

    But I love Christopher's occupation. Gentleman.

    We need some more of those.

    Dee at Shakin' the Family Tree

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your input about the apprenticeship word, Dee. Now, what occupations begin with "M" and end in "ling?" I'll stew on it a while and maybe come up with something.

      Oh, yes, I chuckled when I saw "gentleman." What images come to mind!

      Delete

I appreciate your comments and look forward to reading what you have to say. Thanks for stopping by.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...