Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Old and Interesting, Home Things Past - Tuesday's Tip


I am fascinated by the old ways, the old equipment, and the old methods of  home-keeping.  Old & Interesting is a website where I can learn how my female ancestors may have done the laundry, ironed the clothes, and about some of the utensils they may have used to prepare food.  I can also learn about brooms, buckets, beds, and the covers that kept them and their families warm on cold winter nights.  Old & Interesting is devoted to all things about the home and home-keeping in previous centuries.

I have often wondered how women with young children managed to keep them safe while cooking over an open fire or using a wood cookstove.  I was pleased to see an article about baby walkers that answered some of my questions.  I learned that one can cook without a fire.  And what pigs and cherry stones have in common.

As the creator of the site uses old paintings to illustrate some of the entries.  You can see a list of topics on the left sidebar on this page and the page with the sitemap has a list of all topics



Home Things Past is a companion website to Old & Interesting but seems somewhat broader in scope.  Kitchen and work items are included but there are also sections on crafts, furniture, and textiles.  Mushrooms and eggs?  (But not for eating.)   What do you do with your old clothing?  Learn what your ancestors may have done with those worn out britches or aprons.  Maybe you will enjoy the articles in the hygiene section.


Traditionally, the realm of the kitchen and the care of the home belonged to women.  The wife, the mother, the daughters and sisters managed the keeping of the home and all things associated with running the home smoothly.  I'm thankful to live in times in which we have modern conveniences including electricity, running water, and an assortment of tools to make food preparation and home cleanliness easier.  But I love learning how my foremothers may have managed the same jobs I do at home.

No, it's not eactly family history, but it helps me understand the environment in which my female ancestors lived.

--Nancy.
.

8 comments:

  1. I feel old. I was taught how to use a wooden mushroom for darning socks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Frances, I feel old, too. My mom taught me how to darn socks but she had an egg with a handle. (I wonder whatever became of that....)

      Delete
  2. Nancy - How interesting! I can't wait to check out the Old & Interesting site!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you find something interesting, Dorene. It will take me a while to "digest" everything that's there...

      Delete
  3. This sounds like a great site and I can't wait to explore it. I always wonder about how they might have washed the big dresses they wore 100 years ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't thought about washing those dresses, Debi -- at least not till you mentioned it. One thing about the site is that if you're interesting in something in particular and she hasn't written about it, you can send an email or leave a message with a suggestion. I hope you enjoy the site.

      Delete
  4. Very cool. Thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, John. I hope you find something or interesting helpful if you visit.

      Delete

I appreciate your comments and look forward to reading what you have to say. Thanks for stopping by.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...